Saturday, February 5, 2011

Browsing

I took Nikko to the Indigo near our house this afternoon to give his momma a bit of a break - she's suffering from a nasty cold that I will more than likely be taking back to camp with me next Thursday. He and I spent a glorious two hours in the bookstore. The kid hung out in the children's section, reading Star Wars books and trying to squeeze his ever-lengthening frame into one of the store's PlasmaCars. I left him there, checking back periodically of course, to examine thoroughly the shelves of my favourite sections. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed the sheer pleasure of letting my eyes rove at will over book spines and covers, the luxury of picking up a pristine new publication and turning it over to take in the synopsis of the story, the exhilaration of finding a book I couldn't possibly leave the store without. I came away with two such discoveries:


and
 

Obviously I have higher literary expectations from the former than the latter, which was, contrary to popular belief, not purchased for the hunky man on the cover. 

I'm excited to read 'The Servants', written by the author of a novel I read some time around 2003 at the recommendation of a Chapters coworker who, at the time, I had developed an instant and heady infatuation for. The book, called 'Only Forward', was unlike anything else I had read until then, and while this newer novel sounds nothing like it, I'm sure the caliber of writing won't have changed. Can't help but think of that old crush, though - especially since he and the author share the same first name.

For Nikko, I bought some book on the battles of the Star Wars universe that he had picked out. I didn't even ask him about it - no need to instigate a three-hour-long verbal treatise on this kid's obsession. 

And, as Indigo is "not just a bookstore" I also succumbed to the allure of a half price notebook (never can get enough of those, it seems) and a neat little flower-shaped white board with magnetic backing that will be perfect for my room at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment