Monday, September 27, 2010

(ab)Sense of Humour

I've found that one of the most difficult hurdles to overcome when starting work at a brand new job is learning what 'kind' of funny I need to be so that my fellow employees will view me as a welcome member of the tribe and not a total crazy-daisy. Everyone likes a girl with a friendly nature and a good sense of humour... but, as I've learned over time, not every one is a fan of of my particular brand of make-em-laugh. For instance, at my newest place of employ, I have found that the wacky vein of humour I like to tap in search of making my coworkers chuckle fails, more often than not, to amuse. It's been a crushing blow to my ego, my consistent inability to say something - ANYTHING - that will entertain the three girls/women/whatever that I share an office with. We're all of the same general age range, we're all relatively normal, we're all devoid of that sinister serial-killer vibe. So, how come they don't understand how funny I am!?

After coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't depend on my own funny bone to guide me, I've been calling to arms the infinitely more humourous writings of some of my favourite bloggers to redeem myself. I've quoted The Bloggess, Hyperbole and a Half, 27b/6, Dooce, Pioneer Woman and Cakewrecks, and have received in return no more than the most placating responses. My coworkers, who I enjoy and adore, DO kindly acknowledge my feeble attempts. Their responses feel like the equivalent of a pat on the head from a solicitous elderly aunt.  Needless to say, its just not good enough. 

I want them to think I'm funny. Think I'm funny! Funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment